Keep your Loved Ones with Hearing Loss Engaged in Conversations over Thanksgiving!
It’s not uncommon to see family members and friends with hearing loss limit their participation in loud, large social gatherings. Multiple speakers, clanking of silverware, and lots of background noise can make it difficult to understand the conservation we are trying to participate in. Here are some tips and reminders that may be helpful this Thanksgiving:
- Seat the person with hearing loss at the head of the table or somewhere they are able to see others seated at the table
- Provide adequate lighting
- Take turns speaking to prevent multiple, overlapping conversations
- Speak clearly, but not overly loud or over-enunciated
- Indicate topic shifts and reiterate key information
- Don’t be afraid to ask for repetition or clarity