Here at Jacksonville Hearing and Balance, we focus on all aspects of the ears and their functions, everything from ear wax removal to complex balance disorders. Your ears not only control your ability to hear, but also play an integral role in your balance. This system is called your vestibular system.
Balance awareness week, September 13 – 19, was established by the Vestibular Disorders Association (VeDA) in an effort to raise awareness of these types of disorders. There is a broad spectrum of vestibular disorders that can are short in duration but some that can also affect patients throughout their life. Our goal is to help diagnose and lead you to the correct path of treatment.
According to VeDA, there are more than 69 million Americans who are affected by balance disorders. Patients typically describe themselves as “dizzy” or “off balance”. For some patients, they report difficulty while in the dark. Although these disorders can present in different ways, all can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life.
Here are a few links talking about Balance Awareness Week and Vestibular Disorders:
If you do have difficulty with balance, here are some tips to help in your daily life:
- Speak with your doctor about your symptoms
- Your primary care doctor can help point you in the right direction
- Try to keep track of your symptoms.
- What causes it? What makes it worse? Better?
- Remove trip hazards from your home
- Clear main pathways in your home, i.e. from bed to bathroom,
- Remove or tape down any area rugs that could have the corners pull up
- Make sure there is adequate lighting
- Use of nightlight in the home in high traffic areas
- Use of outside lights around steps or uneven surfaces
- Footwear should be of adequate fit, not slide off when walking, and be comfortable